3 Reasons You Or Your Handyman Should Never Repair Your Roof
While some fixes in your home can be simple enough for any skill level, you’ll want to call in a licensed professional roofing contractor when your roof needs to be repaired. Working on a roof is complex. The source of the leak has to be found, damaged shingles replaced, and other measures to stop the leak taken. Hiring a handyman or attempting a DIY roof repair carries many risks and drawbacks.
Not convinced? Here are 3 reasons which may persuade you otherwise.
1. More Harm than Good
Professional roofing contractors exist in the home improvement world for a reason. The roof is a complex system of layers working together to protect your home from the elements. Finding and fixing a roofing issue requires comprehensive training and experience.
If you or your general contractor repair your roof without a complete understanding of how the roofing system works, you may end up making the damage worse. For example, you could damage the shingles while walking on the roof or put a nail in the wrong spot, exposing your roof to leaks. And in some cases, you won’t notice the damage you’ve made until it’s too late and water is leaking down into your home.
2. Disappointing Results
Roof repair done by an untrained and inexperienced individual tends to fall short in durability, protection, aesthetics, or project length. A roof repair performed by a handyman is not likely to hold strong as time progresses. Mistakes made while you or your handyman repair your roof could end up damaging the roof and other parts of the home.
Also, a shoddy job may result in higher energy bills. Warranties often are voided if someone other than a certified roofing contractor makes repairs.
3. Spend More Money
The main reason many homeowners hire handymen or perform DIY repairs is to save money. Yet, a simple mistake has the potential to set you back thousands of dollars. Work done by a non-professional roofer generally creates more damage and leaks. You’ll either spend more money trying to fix the mistakes or break down and call a reliable roofing contractor to repair the additional damage. Both scenarios cost you more in the long run than had you called a roofer to start with.
Save Time and Hassle
Roof damage can compromise the structural integrity of your home. Waiting too long to get repairs can lead to further deterioration, which can be expensive and time-consuming to deal with. Watch for these signs, which indicate the need for roof repair. Promptly take care of them to prevent extensive damage and save money.
- High energy bills
- Stains on the walls and ceiling
- Blistering or peeling paint inside
- Granules in your gutters or driveway
- Curled, cracked, or missing shingles
- Discoloration of the roof
- Obvious leaks in the attic
- Wear and tear around roof accessories
- Sagging roof deck or rafters
Benefits of Hiring a Professional Roofer
When your roof needs to be repaired, consider hiring a professional roofing contractor. You can be assured they’ll complete the repairs correctly and ensure the best outcome for you and your home. Here are some of the benefits of hiring a professional roofer for your Norfolk roof repair.
- Timely completion of the job: Roofing contractors work on roofs all the time. They can repair your roof faster and protect your home from water damage.
- Prevent accidents and ensure safety: Professional roofers have the safety training and equipment needed to safely repair your roof. They also carry workers’ compensation insurance, which protects you from being liable for any accidents or injuries during the project.
- Save money: You don’t have to worry about losing money when working with a reliable local roofing contractor. They take care of their reputation by delivering outstanding results each time. They’ll get the job done correctly the first time.
- No additional damage: Professional roofers have the knowledge and experience to find and fix hidden damage you might not be aware of. They understand all about roofing systems and know their way around the roof. Their mastery of the craft means they’ll provide quality work and ensure your roof can stand up to the elements.
- Warranty validity remains intact: Factory-certified contractors will take special care to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when repairing your roof. A reputable local roofing contractor will offer a workmanship warranty and will be around to fix any problems that arise within the warranty’s stipulated time frame.
- Extended roof lifespan: Professional roofers provide high-quality work to last for years to come.
- Peace of mind: Knowing you’ll get the best service possible from a local roofer with extensive experience and a good reputation will help give you peace of mind.
When you suspect your roof shows signs of damage, rely on the roofing experts at Stevens Roofing. We’re committed to providing efficient and timely roof repair services backed with decades of proven experience. All your roof repairs will be handled by our insured, licensed, and experienced workers, who are committed to safety and expert workmanship. Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and let us get your roof repair done the right way.